Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TuneViewer : An alternative open source iTunes Viewer for Ubuntu and more

For the past 4 days my old T61 laptop has been on for running winows xp with iTunes running because I have downloading 1semester worth of iTunes University videos.

On the 4th day I notice that my laptop is overheating thus prompting my laptop to shutdown to not set the motherboard with the cpu into flames. For the record my T61 has been around since 2007 it's almost 4 years old.

This has not been the case when it is running on my main operating system which is Ubuntu 10.10 my laptop would just peak at 80C - 90C when there are 2 server virtual machine running and a browser playing a flash video on the host system.

Since I only wanted to download the videos and not really run any virtual machines. I have looked around for an alternative solution like if there were an application available in the open source world that would let view the videos in iTunes University and at the same time download them.

Fired up a google search for an alternative iTunes viewer for Ubuntu and that lead me to TuneViewer. I downloaded the deb file and runned "sudo dpkg -i " on the downloaded deb file. One thing I stumbled upon running TunesViewer is it require pyton-lxml which a quich "sudo apt-get install " will quickly address. For Ubuntu 10.10 yiu can find TunesViewer in "Application->Internet"


You can even take this further because both iTunes and TunesViewer doesn't have some sort of resume feature thus after download 700 megs worth of data from a 800 megs video you will have to redownload the whole 800 megs again and hopefully succeed.

My work around for this with TunesViewer. I inspect or get the information of the video and from there get the absolute path of the file in the web. I then copy and paste this URL in a download manager like Firefox Addon downthemall. Take note using this approach you will have to rename the file that is being downloaded to it's appropriate as it wiil name the file being downloaded as Episode-1.mp4



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: